THE NECESSITIES IN LIFE BEGIN WITH FOOD AND END WITH FOOD


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lilli's Hotcakes with Raspberry Syrup


Pancakes with Fresh Raspberry Syrup garnished with Kiwi and 
Fresh Raspberries!


A tribute to my dear friend Lilli....taking her recipe for pancakes with my small additions to help make my Sunday breakfast extra-special!  

A little about Lilli....originally from Norway I met Lilli over 14 years ago when she happened to be a customer of mine.  Her and Al (her husband) have been married over 40 years...they are like parents to me....I am truly enamored by them.....having met each other in a ski club they are still skiing today.....even though they are in their 80's! They still have a condo at their home away from home at Mammoth Mountain, California. They bicycle ride, walk daily and have such a great attitude about love and life. They travel all the time and I have been fortunate to join them on a few local trips.  Lilli is a fabulous cook bringing her family recipes from Norway to the U.S.  She is truly one of my best friends!

I don't think Lilli has even made pancakes from a box mix.  She served these cakes for me one day and I have been fixing them ever since. Today I made my own raspberry syrup (however, you can use store bought).  Adding powdered sugar, fresh raspberries and sliced kiwi this breakfast dish is very light!  This welcome addition would make any brunch menu standout!


Start off by making syrup:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 carton raspberries
1 tablespoon of Framboise* (raspberry liquor) optional
Combine water and sugar in medium saucepan.  Cook, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.  Add fresh raspberries and cook until thickened.  Add raspberry liquor. Bring to a boil until somewhat thickened, remove from stove.  Process through a strainer or food mill and set aside. The liquid becomes your syrup.
*You can substitute 1 tablespoon vanilla.


Lilli's Pancake Mix:
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Beat eggs in mixing bowl. Add milk, cream and melted butter.  Stir to combine.  Add flour, sugar and salt and mix to combine.  Do not over mix.  Drop by spoonfuls onto hot greased griddle. Cook until light brown on each side.


Assembly:
1/2 box fresh raspberries
Fresh kiwi, peeled and sliced
Powdered sugar
Stack pancakes on plate. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Drizzle raspberry syrup.  Add fresh raspberries and kiwi and serve. Serves 2-3.





My friend Lilli in her kitchen

1 comment:

  1. Lovely pancakes! especially with fresh fruits, how can you go wrong? thanks Lilli!

    ReplyDelete